The new UK immigration system, to be implemented in stages in 2008, combines all the current UK entry visas into five tiers. The five tiers have different conditions and criteria.
- Tier 1: Highly skilled individuals to contribute to growth and productivity; (implemented 29 February)
- Tier 2: Skilled workers with a job offer to fill gaps in United Kingdom labour force (being introduced in Autumn of 2008);
- Tier 3: Limited numbers of low skilled workers needed to fill temporary labour shortages (currently suspended);
- Tier 4: Students (introduced spring of 2009);
- Tier 5: Youth mobility and temporary workers: people allowed to work in the United Kingdom for a limited period of time to satisfy primarily non-economic objectives. (This will replace the working holiday visas in the uk being introduced in Autumn of 2008)
Type rest of the post here